Skip To Main Content

Breadcrumb

About Us

Kellom opened in November 1952 at 1311 North 24th Street. Currently, Kellom Elementary serves approximately 220 students in grades Early Childhood through sixth grade. The diverse school community provides many learning opportunities for all students.  Our students are the best.

Kellom Elementary is fortunate to be part of a strong, diverse, inviting and united community.  We have many Adopt-A-School partners to include:  Creighton College of Dentistry and College of Education, Creighton University Schlegel Center for Service and Justice, UNO College of Education, Charles Drew and the Empowerment Network.   We continue to seek out additional Adopt-A-School partners and mentors for our students. The Kellom mascot is the All-Star with school colors of blue and gold.

The focus at Kellom fosters globally responsible, compassionate, resilient, and productive citizens. The Kellom staff strives to nurture and develop the talents of active learners, increase academic achievement, develop appropriate life and social skills, and encourage healthy lifestyles within a safe environment.

History

The Paul Street School was the original frame building erected in 1892 at the corner of 24th and Paul. It was later renamed Kellom School. In November of 1952, this school building was replaced with the present Kellom School. It was dedicated the same year, and was the first new building constructed by the School District of Omaha in twenty-seven years.

Both the old and the new schools were named after John H. Kellom, who was a prominent figure in Omaha’s educational planning during the pioneer days. Mr. Kellom came to Omaha from New York City in 1857. He helped establish the first school in Omaha and served as a member of the original district school board. He later became a member of board of trustees for the earliest standard high school in Omaha. He also served as a teacher, a principal, and the first superintendent of schools in the city.

Kellom was the first school in Omaha to be a community enterprise. As early as 1940, school officials began suggesting the need to replace “old Kellom” with a community center. They stated, “Here is a golden opportunity for the city and the school district to provide a combined school and recreation center.” Their dream ultimately became a reality.

In addition to being the first community enterprise, Kellom was also the first school building to house children from kindergarten through sixth grade, thus truly becoming an “elementary school”.

In 1964, Kellom School was included in the local AID (Assistance for Interculturally Deprived) program, and later designated as a Title I School. This program has provided specialized instruction in reading and math.
In 1976, as a result of the desegregation plan, Kellom School became a primary center, serving children from kindergarten through third grade. In the early years of the desegregation program, Kellom received second grade students from Gilder, Giles, and Chandler View schools and the neighborhood community. Third grade students came from Pawnee, Ashland Park, Pleasant Hill and the surrounding neighborhood. As a result of some schools closing, Gilder, Pawnee and Ashland Park remained as “feeder schools”.

In 1988 a full-time guidance counselor was assigned to Kellom School. The guidance counselor provides for the social-emotional needs of students through group and individual instruction. Discussions with students, administrators, teachers, and parents are provided as needed.

In 1995, the demolition of the Logan/Fontenelle housing Projects and the implementation of scattered site housing led to a considerable decrease in Kellom’s neighborhood enrollment. Due to increased enrollment at Yates School, second and third grade students were transported to Kellom. Kindergarten and first grade students at Kellom were neighborhood residents or students from surrounding school attendance areas.

During the 1999-2000 school year, a court ordered mandate disallowed busing for the purpose of desegregation. The school district, in compliance with the courts, initiated neighborhood attendance areas according to various zones. At this time, the students that attended Yates would be in the Kellom attendance area. Kellom would once again service students from kindergarten through 6th grade. Kellom would also become an academy with special emphasis on small class size, additional support for students, and Spalding training for teachers to promote phonics, reading, and writing.

Kellom acquired the Omaha Housing Authorities’ offices attached to the east end of the original building during the spring of 2000. This space was renovated for additional classrooms and offices during the summer of 2000. Additional renovation included some window replacements in the main classrooms, new carpeting in several classrooms, central air-conditioning, and new blinds for additional enhancement of the building atmosphere.